One of a set of four stained oak side chairs made by by L & J.G. Stickley, Fayetteville, NY. The top rail is slightly curved above two vertical slats. The leather seat is on block legs joined by box stretchers: two on each side and one in the front and back. This chair has a green stain.
'Mission' or 'Arts and Crafts' furniture was popular around the turn of the twentieth century. The Arts and Crafts movement was fueled by the belief that houses should be furnished in a simpler, more honest way. It was a straightforward, functional style, very different from the fussy Victorian furniture of the preceding century. The "mission" of the Stickley Brothers was to produce hand-crafted, sturdy furniture. Craftsman furniture is usually made of quarter-sawn white oak, and clear dye stains enhance the natural grain.
These chairs were produced by Leopold and John George Stickley around 1910 in Fayetteville, New York. They can be dated by the distinctive 'mark' that the Stickley brothers used to identify their work, which can be found on each piece. The marks on these pieces indicate that they were produced between 1910 and 1912, and they distinguish the Stickley Craftsman Workshops furniture from that of their competitors.
"L&G.J.STICKLEY / HANDCRAFT" stamp is located behind the front stretcher.
|Dimensions||H-36 W-18 D-16 inches|
L & J.G. Stickley